Looking for a dairy free, raw vegan alternative to yoghurts? Try making your own, aside from the waiting process, the yogurt itself really only takes about 10 minutes to make. Its 3 simple ingredients, plus your flavouring of choice. I sometime even skip out the culturing part, and just blend up the coconut meat and water and eat it straight away, it tastes just as good!!
Cultured yogurts however, are a great way to get in your probiotics, which help balance the microflora (organisms) in the intestines. Essentially what probiotics do is balance out the good bacteria and help reduce the bad, for a healthy and optimally functioning digestive tract. Probiotics are a great addition to your diet, especially if you suffer from digestive issues, yeast infections, bloating or gas.
Coconut Vanilla Yogurt:
- 2 c raw thai coconut meat
- 1/4 – 1/2 c raw thai coconut water, as needed
- 2 capsules/1/2 tsp dairy free probiotic powder
- 1/4 vanilla bean, scrapped
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Blend coconut meat and coconut water (as needed) in your blender until creamy and smooth.
- Add the probiotic powder (simply open the capsule and empty the contents into the blender) and blend briefly.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with a cloth. Leave out in room temperature for 8-15 hours. The longer it cultures, the more yoghurty it becomes in taste (it should have a sour, tangy smell and taste).
- Place back in the blender and blend with vanilla bean, cinnamon and any other flavouring of choice (try fruit for different flavours).
- Store in refrigerator until ready to eat (should stay fresh for at least a week, but mine is usually gone by then!).
You can use this wonderful yogurt in many other ways as well: in smoothies, dressings, stirred into chia pudding/porridge, used as a dessert with raw chocolate or you can even use it to make frozen yogurt popsicles. So many delicious options!
To Make Parfait:
- 1 serving coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 a mango
- 1/2 cup raw granola
- 1/2 cup fruit of choice (strawberrys and blueberries)
- Sprinkle of hemp seeds
- Blend up mango until smooth.
- Layer mango and coconut yoghurt in a glass.
- Top with granola, fresh fruit and sprinkle with hemp seeds.