An easy vegan quinoa sushi recipe with fresh vegetables, packed with flavour and protein.
Makes enough for 3-4 rolls
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups water
- Nori Sheets
- 1 avocado
- 2 large carrots, grated
- red cabbage, grated
- 1 cucumber
- packet of alfalfa sprouts
- Place the quinoa in a pan with water. Bring to the boil, reduce to simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes until the water has all been absorbed.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, transfer it to a bowl and leave to cool completely. You may add any herbs or spices you wish to the quinoa (I like mine plain!).
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking, prepare all the filling ingredients. Cut the cucumber in to long thin strips (julienne), grate the carrot and red cabbage and slice the avocado into strips.
- To roll the sushi, place a sushi mat (or piece of plastic film may work), down with the slats running horizontally. Place a nori sheet, shiny side down on the mat. Spread a thin layer of quinoa evenly over the bottom third of the sheet, going all the way to the edges.
- Arrange the fillings across the centre of the quinoa.
- Use your thumbs and forefingers to pick up the edge of the mat closest to you. Use your other fingers to hold the filling while rolling the mat over to enclose. Gently pull the mat as you go to create a firm roll.
- Continue rolling until all the quinoa is covered. To keep it sealed and held together, wet the inside end of the nori sheet slightly with your fingers and smooth it down
- Use a sharp knife to cut into bite-size pieces.
- Arrange sushi on a plate and serve with whatever you like (I like mine with fresh ginger and tamari).